Loren Roberts/First Tee in Memphis Scholarship Fund
Purpose of the Fund
The Loren Roberts First Tee in Memphis Scholarship fund is awarded to a graduating high school student who has participated in the First Tee – Tennessee in Memphis program. Students who have obtained their high school equivalent degree are also eligible.
History of the Fund
The Loren Roberts First Tee in Memphis scholarship originated from PGA Tour Member, Loren Roberts, who wanted to make an annual contribution to the Mid-South Junior Golf Association (MSJGA). In conversation with the MSJGA founder, Charles Hudson, Mr. Roberts asked where and how he could make the most meaningful donation to the organization. Mr. Hudson suggested the creation of an endowed scholarship to financially assist MSJGA golfers to attend college or technical school.
Since 1999, The Loren Roberts/First Tee in Memphis Scholarship has assisted more than 75 scholarships for students from the Mid-South to become responsible, productive citizens by enabling them to attend colleges and universities throughout the United States.
This scholarship is awarded based on financial assistance needed. It is important to note that the Loren Roberts/First Tee in Memphis Scholarship is not a golf scholarship, and no awards are made based on students’ golfing abilities.
All applicants must:
A complete application includes:
- completes Loren Roberts/First Tee in Memphis Scholarship application form
- one-page essay describing what First Tee – Tennessee in Memphis means to them and how they will apply what they’ve learned through the First Tee – Tennessee experience to their future educational plans and/or career goals;
- two current letters of recommendation from teachers, clergy, or persons (other than a family member) who are familiar with their personal character, skills and abilities;
- most recent high school transcript, if applicable;
- copy of Act and/or SAT scores, if applicable; and a
- copy of your Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA), Student Aid Report (SAR), and Expected Family Contribution (EFC), OR College Scholarship Service (CSS) profile.